I am a sucker for curry. I love all kinds. There’s something lovely about the warm aroma, sweet and spicy flavors, and the way the rice soaks up the amazing sauce. I recently made this version for some friends, and it was a hit.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (you can also use thighs)
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped (actually this time I used a handful of the sweet mini peppers — a mixture of red, orange and yellow)
- 1 (5 oz) can of tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz) can of coconut milk
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon garam masala
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and halved) OR 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1.5 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Coat your crock pot with a cooking spray (like Pam)
- Place the chicken and carrots at the bottom of the crock pot
- Take all of the other ingredients (except for the cornstarch and water) and put them in your food processor until it is mostly smooth.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and carrots in the crock pot and stir
- Cover, cook on low for 6 hours
- About an hour before it’s done, mix the cornstarch in the water, then add the mixture to the crock pot and stir well.
Serve over rice and enjoy! Garnish with fresh cilantro if you have it.
April 8, 2013
Posted by on
In an effort to jazz up taco night, I decided to make black beans and rice as a side dish to accompany our beef tacos and green salad. This recipe was easy, and it was a big hit with adults and kids.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2/4 cup uncooked white rice (I used jasmine)
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3.5 cups canned black beans, drained and lightly rinsed
- In a pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and then add the onions and garlic, sautéing for 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the hear and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the spices and the black beans.
There were no leftovers.