Just another WordPress.com site
My wonderful friend Jaclyn came over for our annual holiday brunch, and I tried out a new baked eggs recipe. I can’t wait to try a few spin-offs in the near future, as this is a fun, elegant way to dine! (and we are oh-so-elegant … ha ha)
OK, I know some of the ingredient language is vague, but it all depends on how much you want to make. For me and Jac, we each had two eggs (so two full ramekins) and 8 ounces of sausage.
That’s it! Each person gets his or her own ramekin (or two or three). Serve with toast.
Once you’ve made this easy recipe, you’ll see how many variations are possible. Put any kind of protein in the bottom (ham, chicken, shrimp, crab, lobster … mmmmm ….), put an egg on top, cover with cream … how can you go wrong with that?!
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place the butter in a large, oven-proof saute pan. Put into the oven and melt butter.
3. Meanwhile, in a blender combine the eggs, flour, milk, 1 T sugar, vanilla and salt; blend until uniform.
4. Carefully remove the hot saute pan from the oven. Don’t forget that the handle is HOT. Somehow, I forget this and reach for the handle. Every time. 😦
5. Swirl the melted butter around in the pan to coat completely, then pour any excess butter into the blender and pulse gently.
6. Pour the batter into the hot pan and return the pan to the oven.
7. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until it begins to puff in the center and the edges turn golden brown.
8. While cooking, in a small bowl combine the 1 t sugar with the blueberries and lemon zest. Set aside.
9. Again, remembering that the saute pan handle is HOT (seriously), remove the pan from the oven and use a spatula to lift the Dutch Baby out of the pan and onto a cooling rack for just a few minutes. This allows the steam to escape and keeps the Dutch Baby from getting soggy.
10. Put the Dutch Baby on a large plate and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
11. Cut into wedges and serve with spoonfuls of your blueberry mixture.
I have also made this with fresh strawberries AND with a strawberry syrup. Delicious!