Did Somebody Say, “Fondue?”
May 15, 2011
Posted by on
Who doesn’t like melted cheese? Yeah, that’s what I thought. My mom gave me a very nice electric fondue pot, and I finally put it to good use this weekend. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 7 ounces Gruyere, cubed or shredded
- 7 ounces sharp cheddar, cubed or shredded
- 7 ounces Emmentaler, cubed or shredded
- Assorted dipping items, such as crusty bread, Granny Smith apples, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots
1. Bring the wine to a boil in a small saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
3. Whisk the flour into the butter and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly so it does not stick and burn.
4. Stir the wine into the flour mixture slowly using a whisk.
5. Slowly add cubes of cheese until they are all melted.
6. Transfer to fondue pot (if electric, use a low setting to keep the fondue warm and gooey)
7. Serve with things that taste good when they are covered in cheese (which is just about anything, but I prefer bread, apples and veggies).
P.S. This makes a LOT of fondue. 🙂