Just another WordPress.com site
Yes – YOU can make popovers!
May 11, 2011Posted by on
I had completely forgotten about this popover recipe until I was at Arizona Theatre Company’s “Curtain Up” fundraising event and popovers were served instead of boring dinner rolls. It was such a treat (everyone at the table was in agreement), and it made me recall this recipe. I love how something so simple can transform a meal!
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (warmed in the microwave for 30 seconds so it is lukewarm)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Using a pastry brush, apply 1 tablespoon of the melted butter to the insides of 8 muffin cups and put the muffin tin in the oven for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mix the eggs in a blender until they are light yellow. Add the warmed milk and blend.
4. Add the flour, salt and remaining butter to the blender and blend until smooth.
5. Pour the batter into the warmed muffin cups and return it to the oven.
6. Bake until golden, about 35 minutes and remove.
7. Serve warm.
Beware: do not open the oven while the popovers are cooking. The steam is what makes them “pop,” so you’ll end up with deflated popovers if you keep checking on them. Instead, use your oven light to peer through the window.
I promise that if you follow these directions you will have delicious popovers and your guests will be super-impressed.