Just another WordPress.com site
February 18, 2011Posted by on
If you received a box of treats from me at Christmastime, it likely contained some of this honeycomb brittle. And yes, I made it myself (thank you, thank you). It was SO EASY, and so many people raved about how wonderful it was, so here is the magical recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 T baking soda
- Cooking spray
- Chocolate bar or chips – this is optional, and I recommend a very good dark chocolate
- Parchment paper
- A candy thermometer. Do not be afraid.
1. Lay parchment paper on a cooking sheet and spray parchment with your cooking spray.
2. Bring the sugar, honey and water to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly.
3. Reduce heat to medium-high and insert a candy thermometer. Cook, without stirring, until the thermometer reaches 300 degrees.
4. Remove thermometer and remove the saucepan from the heat.
5. Whisk in the baking soda rapidly until combined and fluffy. Do not over-whisk. It will immediately get fluffy and golden, and that’s when it’s perfect.
6. Pour mixture onto the baking sheet without spreading it.
7. Let cool and then break into pieces.
You can be done now, or you can take it one step further. While the candy is cooling, gently melt your chocolate. Then, when the candy is cooled and you’ve broken it into manageable pieces (with your hands – nothing fancy), dip half of each piece into the dark chocolate and replace on the parchment paper. When you’re done, put the entire baking sheet into the fridge to set the chocolate. Viola! You have AWESOME homemade candy. It’s light, airy, melts in your mouth, and my family thinks it tastes like roasted marshmallows. I think it’s heavenly. I hope you do too!