Easy Cheesy Asparagus Risotto
February 14, 2011
Posted by on
Once you learn the basics of making risotto, it’s really fun to make new creations based on what you have on hand. I whipped this dish up this evening, and it was delicious!
- 4 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1/4 of a large yellow onion, diced
- 1 C Arborio rice
- 1/2 C dry white wine (or use broth – I did so tonight … no white wine in the house)
- 5 C chicken broth
- 8-10 stalks of asparagus
- 1/2 C shredded cheese ( I used a cheddar blend … again, I had it in the fridge)
- Salt and pepper
- In a heavy, large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the bacon until it is brown.
- Add onion and continue to cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add rice and stir – allow rice to absorb the olive oil.
- Add wine (or 1/s C broth); stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Next, stir in the chicken broth. Continue cooking, uncovered, until the broth is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, take 3-4 stalks of asparagus and cut into small pieces. Put this portion into the blender or food processor and add olive oil, salt and pepper. Puree.
- When the risotto begins to get slightly creamy, add the asparagus puree.
- Chop the remaining asparagus until 1 inch pieces and add to the risotto.
- When the risotto is rich and creamy, stir in the shredded cheese and cook one minute.
- Dish into bowls and enjoy!
Michael added a dash of Cholula hot sauce to his dish … to each his own!