Just another WordPress.com site
Creamy Risotto with Chicken Sausage
January 25, 2011Posted by on
I’m a sucker for risotto. It’s so creamy and homey – I call it “fancy comfort food.” I only recently discovered how EASY it is to make really good risotto! You can amend this recipe and mix in pretty much anything you want, but here’s one I’ve had a few times that always turns out well:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen petite sweet peas
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a heavy, large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute sausage and onion until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add rice and wine; stir until the wine is absorbed.
- Next, stir in 3 cups of the chicken broth. Then, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the broth is absorbed, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Continue adding broth, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender and creamy. (This part I do somewhat unattended … I enjoy a glass of wine, check my email, stir the pot, flip through a magazine, stir the pot, etc …. Just keep going until it looks like what you get at a restaurant.)
- When the risotto is rich and creamy, stir in the frozen peas and approximately 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; cook 1 minute or until heated throughout.
- Dish into bowls and sprinkle with the rest of the Parmesan cheese.
The first time I made this, I said to myself and my friends, “This is by far the best thing I have ever made.” It’s true.